
Hello Again Family and Friends,
We left Florida and it was a good feeling. Ron and I were in separate cars so it made spontaneous stops a little harder so mostly we just pushed on north. I don’t have too many pictures of this part of the trip so I’ll tell you where we did not stop. We did not stop at “Krystal’s- Where you can get your Grub on.”. We did not stop at any roadside Okra stands. We did not stop at the “We Bare All Diner- Breakfast, Lunch and So Much More”.
Its probably a good thing. I was getting a little too familiar with the deep south. One of the days we were in Florida, we took the cars into the car wash to clean and vacuum, and clean the carpets in the van, and it was over 100 degrees with 100% humidity. Man was it hot. We were covered in sweat when we headed home. I stopped at the Walgreens drug store on the way home for something and saw a rack of sun dresses. All 100% cotton and in large women sizes- naturally –it was Walgreens’ after all. I bought one that looked like it should have been on a patio umbrella- brown and gold and sage green and big ‘ole orange flowers. It was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen but God did it feel good to get out of the shower and throw it on- commando style. I was comfortable for the first time down there in that God forsaken state. I thought I had better get out of there quick. You know that I’ve been “drinking the Kool-aid” when I start shopping at Walgreens’ for clothes . I plan to exercise my Nordstrom’s special shopper privileges as soon as I get home.
OH, I forgot to tell you about the appliance salesman where we went to buy the dishwasher. He looked like he was from an episode of “Earl”. He was extolling the virtues of the dishwasher’s large lower rack. He said it was large enough for cookie sheets- or as he called them… “French Fry sheets.” Yes, that’s Florida… Where your dishwasher is large enough for those ever plaguing French Fry sheets. We didn’t buy it there, we moved on to the next appliance store. And just rolled out eyes.
We were also impressed with the sign we saw that indicated that we were part of setting a new Florida record. The sign on one of the streets by Florida State University said…
Cars Yielding to Pedestrians:
Current Record: 66%
To Date Record: 66%
Yes, we also wondered about those poor 44% who were casualties of the non- yielding cars. I guess that might contribute to the low graduation rate at Florida State U. H-m-m-m?.
Our hotel that night was in a special location..It was associated with the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing. Right next door, in fact. Who knew that was such a draw? The decorations in the hotel were all in tribute to drag racing and full of the most dedicated fans. We were unable to make small talk at breakfast the next morning. ‘Nuff Said.
This pretty much sums up the trip from Florida and into Georgia. The picture of the backside of Ron’s car was pretty much the view.
No comments:
Post a Comment